Monday 13 August 2012

Canoeing on the Kennet and Avon Canal, Wick Golden Valley Nature Reserve - 27th June 2012

We set off to find the place we'd booked to canoe in, knowing all well what would happen after our kayaking adventure in Vietnam a couple of years ago. Put a couple in a canoe, watch them get stressed.

Nevertheless we arrived in good time, got given a brief health and safety check and were in the canoe in no time. I was concerned about the lack of life jackets. I was also concerned (growing up very near a canal) that if I fell in I would get tangled in the weeds and drown.

Kennet & Avon Cannal Canoe Kennet & Avon Cannal Canoe Kennet & Avon Cannal Canoe

It all started out well, but then I got extremely scared when a swan hissed at me and then one tried to bite Tim's arm. This was the source of much amusement to Tim when I apparently yelped and then realised the only way I could get away from it was if I jumped into the water, something I wasn't willing to do.

Kennet & Avon Cannal Canoe Kennet & Avon Cannal Canoe Kennet & Avon Cannal Canoe Kennet & Avon Cannal Canoe

We got on our way, although I had a panic every few minutes and we bumped into a lot of things as I have the arm strength of something without any arms compared to Tim's manly arms. We bickered, it's to be expected, but we did enjoy the bobbing about on the water and the stop off at the pub along the way. We managed to stay out of the rain for the most part but it did start to drizzle when we got back to the mooring.

We went to the Wick Golden Valley Nature Reserve in the afternoon, for a walk that Tim had found on-line. We went through fields with long grass that were filled with butterflies, had encounters with cows and then went into the nature reserve itself. Once an ochre works it's now overgrown and full of insects and plants, there's something a little bit eerie about it but it's beautiful walk and I would highly recommend it.

Wick Golden Valley Wick Golden Valley Wick Golden Valley Wick Golden Valley

The evening was rounded off with a barbecue and the start of Wyrd Sisters for me the more Jay and Silent Bob.

Full set of photos from our camping trip here,

No comments:

Post a Comment