Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Stone Roses, Heaton Park, Manchester - 30th June 2012

Anyone who really knows me knows that I LOVE The Stone Roses.

In the first six months of me and Tim getting together back in 2002, he asked me...

Tim: If you could go back in time to any year where would you go?
Me: 1990
Tim: What? Even if you could go back in time and see dinosaurs?
Me: I'd rather see The Stone Roses

I was a Britpop Queen in the mid to late 90s. I loved everything about it but The Stone Roses have a very special place in my heart. I remember hearing the intro for Love Spreads and it struck such a cord with the teenage me that I quickly and obsessively found out everything I could about them, bought their past singles on CD and had them on a loop of my player and in my brain for years.

I have no idea how I ended up finding all the info out about them that I did (what did we do before the internet) but the Rockumentary on Radio 1 (ah, those were the days) helped a lot....something I had recorded on tape that I'd listen to and play to anyone with a remote interest at every opportunity I could.

So it was with much delight that we secured tickets and on 30th June, me, Tim, French and Carl all went off to Heaton Park to see the wonderment that is The Stone Roses.

We got there, queued for an hour early doors and went hurtling down the field and secured front pit passes (YEAH BWOY!). I couldn't believe my teenage dreams had finally come true and here I was about to see the best band in the world, something I never thought would happen.

The gig was amazing, you could feel electricity in the air and it was topped off with a group hug by the band, a statement of "we're back!" and the best fireworks display I've ever seen. It'll always be one of the best days of my life and I savoured every second of it.

Highlights for me: Shoot You Down (my fav of all time!), Somethings Burning, Where Angels Play

The Stone Roses, Heaton Park 
Front pit gal! 

The Stone Roses, Heaton Park 
That was rain, not piss. 

The Stone Roses, Heaton Park 
The crowd behind us 

The Stone Roses, Heaton Park 
Check how close we were!!!

The Stone Roses, Heaton Park 
Zombietown on the way home 

The Stone Roses, Heaton Park

Carl, after declaring it was the best day of his life, is somewhat broken at the tram stop

No comments:

Post a Comment